What is this?



This is a blog where I'll be writing up any dreams I feel I'm awake enough to write about. I may even do some analysis.

Treat this as a Dream Diary, basically.

Monday 8 July 2019

8th July 19 - Howler

I am given the role of giant hunter. I don't want to be a giant hunter, and I don't know why I'm being given the role of giant hunter, but this is the only explanation I'm given for being ripped out of my own reality and flung into the far future.

Disjointed images, everything different shades of green, a girl who seems to know more than her age might suggest tells me to keep hold of two items that she gives me, one for each hand. They're small orange whips, and they're used for casting ice magic. I'm so disoriented that I lose one immediately, I'm being taken through the green lens of time and space and it's presumably gone forever.

It's dark now, black and green, the green still bright and now solid, reaching high up on three sides of me. "Here is where the ice magic is best used," explains the girl. we're in-between the green toes of a giant, and this is where we strike. Ice magic materialises with several crunches and I'm tumbling through green space and time once more, no comprehension of where or how.

I'm in the far future now, though it's hard to tell. A megacity, stretching miles high and further wide. All green and overgrown by a tropical jungle, trains suspended in midair on just the railings travelling along wide and impossibly deep avenues. I can't quite comprehend distances or scale and retreat back to a close building. Green everything again.

I'm made sport of by the locals of this era, demented parties where they play games I don't know the rules to and find impossible to compete in. I can't get away though, I have nowhere to run to. The girl appears every so often, as if to guide me but ultimately she is of no help.

I'm given a puzzle. Enter a building locked by a sliding timer, and retrieve a few items from two mounds in the rear yard. I open the timer with my orange whip and discover I can re-open it from the inside, removing any time obligations. It's a green house with a green yard, no plants or grass though. Two mounds of dirt as tall as I but twice in diameter sit on the yard floor. They're covered in a clear tarpaulin and there are a couple of holes on each about the size of my fist - entry points.

I'm to collect large jewels hidden inside the mounds, but it's not so simple. There's rustling under the tarpaulin and I eventually discover that they're guarded by a howler monkey. This howler monkey is a viscous shit and attacks me without warning. I can feel the burning amusement of those future denizens as they watch and laugh, not even caring to pay full attention. The monkey is ferocious in it's attempts to bite and claw, and I struggle to prevent any damage. I grab it's throat hoping it would stop the onslaught, but it only makes it worse.

I run, being attacked relentlessly, back through the house, sliding open the lock and flinging the monkey as far as I can. It gives up attacking me and lopes off into the distance. I half heartedly try to follow, 'I can't leave something like that to go out and hurt people can I?' before remembering the mounds. I head back inside and pause in the empty green kitchen before I do.

The furniture is all wooden, old wooden table, chairs, cupboards, drawers, counters, and there's nothing adorning any of it. I open one of the drawers to find a few books and leaflets, they're all trash though, and the books feel completely devoid of meaningful content, as if they were video game shelf-fillers.

I head back into the yard to find the mounds still there but looking different. There are people playing tennis nearby and not giving a shit about any peril I may have been in. I turn my attention back to the mounds and discover that the defence this time is the job of multiple large insects. They look like red ants, but about two inches long and featuring a fat claw blade each. I get close and to my horror realise they have placed another mound on the floor, disguised so I would not see it.

I fall into the tarpaulin and soil, feeling numerous mega-ants frenzy and cover me, doing their best to bite and slice. I shriek, moving as quick as I can to regain my balance and to fling and swat as many ants as I can away from me. I get away from the mound and remove the last of the terrifying swarm from me. The girl is back, she informs me that I'm unhurt, but that I have numerous shallow cuts, which sounds just great.

I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment